The Agency is responsible for the development, maintenance and management of water and sewerage infrastructure in 6 counties namely:-Garissa, wajir, Mandera, Isiolo, Samburu and Marsabit.
The powers and functions of NWWDA as provided for in the Water Act, 2016 under Section 68 shall be to:-
- Undertake the development, maintenance and management of the national public water works within its area of jurisdiction
- Operate the waterworks and provide water services as a water service provider, until such a time as responsibility for the operation and management of the waterworks are handed over to a county government, joint committee, authority of county governments or water services provider within whose area of jurisdiction or supply the waterworks is located
- Provide reserve capacity for purposes of providing water services where pursuant to section 103, the Regulatory Board orders the transfer of water services functions from a defaulting water services provider to another licensee
- Provide technical services and capacity building to such county governments and water services providers within its area as may be requested; and
- Provide to the Cabinet Secretary technical support in the discharge of his or her functions under the Constitution and this Act.